OCASI invites participants to its self-directed E-learning training on “Understanding and Responding to Sexual Violence in Immigrant & Refugee Communities”.
Purpose of Course
The purpose of this FREE introductory-level course is to help front line practitioners working with immigrant and refugee communities to better understand issues of sexual violence and develop a supportive response for survivors. It is important to note that when discussing sexual violence, the focus will not only be on abuse that can occur within intimate relationships but also sexual violence that is perpetuated by family members, friends, acquaintances, those in positions of power and strangers.
The course, which is a 5 week online self-directed training, is not meant to provide in-depth training on how to become a sexual violence counsellor however course content will emphasize the importance of working within professional boundaries and providing referrals to external sources when required.
Upon completion of the Training you will be able to:
1. Analyze the issue of sexual violence from a gendered and anti-oppression framework.
2. Critically analyze the realities of immigrant and refugee women who have experienced sexual violence in the context of structural and systemic barriers.
3. Understand the broad range of supports available to survivors of sexual violence.
4. Understand the legislative responses to sexual violence in Canada.
5. Identify information and tools on how to support survivors of sexual violence including: effectively responding to disclosures, safety planning with women and making effective referrals.
6. Identify ways of promoting community and social change by engaging survivors of sexual violence in organizational change, bridging sectors, promoting inter-agency information sharing and referrals, case coordination and public education.
Criteria for Participation:
This course is open to anyone who wants to increase their knowledge on the topic of sexual violence in immigrant and refugee communities.
Although prior e-learning experience is not required, it will be an asset. You will need access to a computer for this self-directed training. You will have 45 days to complete the training which you can access at your own time and convenience.
In order to successfully complete the training, you will have to respond to short quizzes after each module and receive a grade of 75% or more.
At the successful completion of the entire e-course you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI.
To Register for the Training
All you have to do is to create a free user account on Learn At Work (http://www.learnatwork.ca), then scroll down till you see “Understanding and Responding to Sexual Violence in Immigrant and Refugee Communities (Self-Directed). Click on it to select it, then click on the red button at the top of the page to enrol yourself. If you have difficulties using the above instructions to create an account on Learn At Work, contact email@example.com
OCASI's Sexual Violence "Understanding & Responding to Sexual Violence in Immigrant and Refugee Communities" online training series is graciously funded by the Ontario Government through the Ontario Women's Directorate.