OCASI collaborated with Colour of Poverty Campaign/Colour of Change Network (COP-COC), Metro Toronto Chinese & South East Asian Legal Clinic (MTCSALC) and South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO) on a Joint Submission to the Committee on the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW). The submission was prepared with respect to the Committee's upcoming review of Canada at its 65th Session (24 Oct 2016 - 18 Nov 2016).
The Joint Submission highlighted the following concerns:
- Racialized and gendered poverty in Canada;
- Conditional Permanent Residency requirements;
- Family sponsorship requirements;
- The Live-in Caregiver Program;
- Refugees from Designated Countries of Origin;
- Lack of access to child care tax benefits; and
- Immigration detention of women and children.