OCASI is pleased to announce the launch of the Positive Space Assessment Tool!
This free and anonymous online questionnaire was designed in 2013-2014 to benchmark organizational standards for serving LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, etc.) newcomers. It can be used by organizations to:
- Understand clearly what a Positive Space is, involves, and looks like in both theory and practice
- Assess how positive their space really is for LGBTQ+ newcomers and staff, including compliance with Ontario Human Rights Code laws and best practices in settlement services
- Identify key strengths and target areas for improvement
- Connect to necessary resources that are tailored based on need
- Stimulate internal dialogue, and use assessment results as a catalyst to:
- Access training
- Create or revise policies
- Consult with stakeholders
- Pilot new initiatives, programs, partnerships, etc.
- Evaluate effectiveness of change initiatives and monitor progress over time:
This can be done by re-taking the Assessment Tool at a later date and comparing with previous results.
We would like to thank the OCASI Positive Spaces Initiative Advisory Committee who graciously gave their time, energy, wisdom, and encouragement in the development of this tool. Your knowledge, experience, and generosity are what made this possible.