The Halton Multicultural Council is a community agency dedicated to enabling every individual, regardless of race or ethnic origin, to participate as full and active members of the community through fostering mutual respect and understanding of one another.
HMC's Transitional Housing Program
The Transitional Housing for Newcomers to Halton - program funded by the Supporting Communities Partnership Initiative (SCPI) and The Region of Halton Assisted Housing Program introduces a temporary housing option for eligible newcomers (Refugees and Immigrants) in the community.
Since 2004, The Halton Multicultural Council has offered Burlington based apartments for families and individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. HMC provides temporary accommodation while residents search for permanent housing in Halton.
This program has provided the first home for many families who chose to make Halton their home. Residents receive essential services necessary to establish their home in Canada.
Before placing a family into our temporary accommodation, the steering committee will choose the family based on the following guidelines:
- Homeless or at risk of homelessness
- May be a whole family or a sole support person with children (Single persons are also eligible)
- May have explored other accommodation alternatives
- Must be a legal immigrant (Permanent Resident - PR Card Holder, Refugee Claimant, Convention Refugee) or Canadian Citizen
- - Placement is up to 12 weeks with a possibility of extension: Rental Agreement is signed every three months with possibility of extension to up to one year.
For more information please contact:
Community Liaison for Transitional Housing
(905) 842-2486 ext. 243
(905) 483-4893 (mobile)