OCASI appeared before the Special Advisors to the Changing Workplaces Review (CWR) on June 16, 2015 to share recommendations on how the Employment Standards Act should be changed to better protect workers. The submission focused on growing precarious and low-wage work, and vulnerability of migrant workers and workers without immigration status.
Changing Workplaces Review features public consultations by the Ontario government on the changing nature of the modern workplace. The consultations will consider how the Labour Relations Act, 1995 and Employment Standards Act, 2000 could be amended to best protect workers while supporting businesses in our changing economy.
Workplace trends that will be examined in the consultation include:
- The increase in non-standard working relationships such as temporary jobs, involuntary part-time work, and self-employment.
- The rising prominence of the service sector.
- Globalization and trade liberalization.
- Accelerating technological change.
- Greater workplace diversity.