The Positive Spaces Initiative (PSI), a project of the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI), is on a search to identify regional Champions! A Champion is a person who is actively engaged in their community, working for the inclusion and human rights of LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, two-spirit, queer, questioning, asexual, intersex, pansexual, genderqueer, etc.) immigrants and refugees. This volunteer position recognizes the work that you are already doing in your community, gives you an opportunity to build your skills, contacts, and experience, and connects you with other people doing similar work around the province.
- Outreach & referrals within your region
- Maintain list of community resources within your region
- Coordinate 1 regional event per year
- Establish informal network within your region
- Communicate regularly with the PSI Coordinator.
- Champions will be publicly recognized by OCASI through the featuring of their names and short bios on www.PositiveSpaces.ca.
- You will develop skills with outreach, networking, and event planning; build your repertoire of professional contacts; and gain experience in the immigrant and refugee serving sector, and in understanding unique LGBTQ+ needs and realities.
- Champions will receive a certificate to verify that they have received professional development training in the Positive Spaces Initiative methodology.
Expect to spend 2-3 hours per week on outreach/referrals, building the regional network, and maintaining the resource list. Additional time will be required some months to coordinate the annual regional event.
Please see the attachment for further details and how to apply. The application deadline is Friday, February 13, 2015.